It may seem like a silly thing to even mention, but washing your suspension correctly can keep them in good condition for a long time.
Suspender belts and girdles have lots of pieces that can be ripped, detached, lost and snagged. I have already lost a detachable clip in the past and as a consequence, I trashed my entire bedroom looking for it, but alas, it had been stolen by the underwear fairies.
If you have the patience to hand wash your undies then you’re a saint. My boyfriend hand washes my nylon stockings and I have officially made him a saint for that alone.
Here are some handy tips for keeping your suspension looking and feeling as good as new:
- Use lingerie specific detergent – this type of detergent has been specifically designed to clean delicate fabrics without damaging the elastic fibers
- Let your underwear soak in a tub, bath or sink for around 20 minutes, then gently swish them around in the water. Rinse until all the detergent is out. Do not scrub or use a brush to remove stains.
- Do not ring out your garments. Place them in a dry towel and press them until most of the water has been absorbed into the towel.
- Hang your underwear on a washing line rather than tumble drying them.
If you just cannot stand the idea of hand washing your girdles…well, I don’t blame you. However there are ways of protecting your garments, even in the washing machine.
- Buy a lingerie wash bag. You can actually get these from most underwear sections in supermarkets, or underwear shops. They cost a couple of dollars and will last forever. These are just bags made out of netted fabric that will prevent your items from swishing around the washing machine and getting snagged, or without causing clips to come off.
- If you don’t have a wash bag, just use a pillow case, make sure it is the right colour for your lingerie, in case of colour staining disasters.
- If your clips are detachable, remove them and keep them in a safe place.
- Switch your machine setting to a delicate spin, on a low temperature.
I hope this helps to keep your undies looking nice and new!