In the hosiery world, the term ‘nude’ is used very loosely; ‘nude’ seems to only mean ‘Caucasian nude’ and neglects the fact that people don’t just come in one colour. Even Caucasian skin can be lighter or darker, depending on the ethnicity of the person, or even, how much sun their skin has been exposed to.
I did a bit of investigation and poked around some forums to find out if I could locate some stockings for darker skin tones. However, I discovered that while there seem to be quite a few pantyhose brands producing pantyhose for darker skin, it is very difficult to find actual stockings. Instead it seems to be up to women to decide if they are ‘coffee’ or ‘chocolate’ coloured, or to simply opt for plain black.
Quite a few women have contacted me lately, asking where they can find stockings for their dark skin, so I did some research and while I was at it, I checked out some lighter tones for the pale ladies among us.
Please note that I have not tried all of these out so cannot recommend them, I am just pointing you in the right direction.
1. The very first brand I found was Gerbe with their ’15 denier stockings in a range of colours to suit all skin tones’. Thankfully there is no mention of the ambiguous word ‘nude’ in the colour descriptions, ‘ecru’ is for fair skin, ‘peau bronzee’ for the medium tones and ‘opera is for darker legs.
2. Just like darker ladies could opt for black stockings, fair women could opt for white stockings. However if you’re looking for something a little more subtle than bright white legs there are other options. My next find has a colour called ‘off-white’ that might work for you pale ladies, and also add a bit of shimmer to your legs thanks to their ‘high shine look’.
3. Although the image below isn’t a great representation of the colours in Eleganti’s diamond sheen full contrast range, they do seem to have a couple of good colours on offer for fair skin – ‘porcelain/ black top’ and the not so impressively named ‘natural/ black top’, plus they have a seam up the back if that’s what you’re looking for.
4. Although I couldn’t find any stockings made specifically for dark skinned ladies, I have located some stockings that come in varying colours which may match your skin tone. Le Bourget Voilance stockings below appear to have a good selection of brown and bronze colours – ‘noisette’, ‘vision’, ‘bronze’ and ‘cannelle’.
6. However, if you are a big fan of genuine nylons, you also have the below option from Eleganti. The ‘copper’ colour may be of some use, plus the low denier (15) means that they are sheer enough to blend into your natural skin colour (as supposed to opaques which would change the colour completely). These are also filly fashioned stockings.
7. The last brand is Cervin and I have added them mostly because I like their sales photo, it’s so pretty! They have a colour called ‘chocolate’ which may work for some of you darker ladies, plus these are very robust stockings.