As the weather is heating up in Australia, there is no better time than now to start the discussion of thigh chafing. Hands up those who have ever experienced the excruciating pain caused by your inner thighs continuously rubbing together… Yep, I’m pretty sure there are a few of you out there with your hands up… I am not ashamed to say that I experience thigh chafing about once a month, and IT SUCKS!
I get chafing between my thighs for several reasons:
- The stockings I’m wearing on the day are too small for my thighs, causing my skin to ‘spill over’ the welts, pushing the skin together
- I’m wearing a long girdle that pushes my thighs together
- It’s really hot and/ or humid on the day, and the sweat causes chafing or extra irritation
- A combination of all of the above
It’s not all glamour chez Elinor, I’m telling you! But please don’t let thigh chafing put you off wearing stockings, I was lucky enough to get painful sores on my thighs when I used to wear tights (pantyhose) too!
So what can we do to avoid the unpleasant experience that is thigh chafing? There are several solutions:
- Wear opera length stockings, held up by a suspender belt with lots of straps. Tighten the straps right up so that it is securely holding up your extra long stockings all around. This will put nylon between your legs, preventing any skin-on-skin contact, and will prevent the welt from sagging.
- Wear long leg panty girdles, the material will protect the skin from rubbing
- Bandelettes (I haven’t tried them yet)
- Anti-chafing gel (ew)
- Anti-chafing knickers. Yes. Anti-chafing knickers exist people!
The Big Bloomers Company were kind enough to send me over a second pair of anti-chafing knickers for me to frolic around in, and boy did that make me happy! You may have already read my first review that I did of the original anti-chafing knickers by the same brand, if you have, you will know that I absolutely love them. So let’s go over all the reasons that I believe these need their own special place in your underwear drawer…
- These knickers are HUGE, and huge knickers make me happy. I have no time for bits of floss hanging out around my lady parts, it’s uncomfortable and unflattering. I’m in the Bridget Jones camp, big knickers are best. The good thing about these knickers is that they come in a long or a short option, so you can even switch them up, and wear the longer knickers on those occasional chilly days.
- They are so soft, and they don’t ever stop being soft. You can wash them as many times as you want and they still won’t lose their softness.
- They are lightweight so will not cause extra sweating
- You can wear them on their own or with foundations/ a suspender belt and stockings
- 100% no chafing guaranteed – Yay!
In my previous review, I mentioned that these knickers were quite functional looking and didn’t have anything feminine about them. I’m happy to see that this new design has a pretty lace trim around the legs, which I think looks much better. If you happen to accidentally flash them, at least you will be flashing some lacy bits!
It is important to note that these knickers do indeed prevent inner thigh chafing, however they are not designed to shape you in any way, so I would always advise to wear them with firm foundations if you are looking to shape your lower body.
My sizing is still a UK 12-16, and they fit perfectly! I would honestly urge everyone to try these out, they are a
life thigh saver!